Sunday, November 15, 2009

That bird!


For days I had been wanting to see the guardabarranco, national bird of Nicaragua. I had been told that they are frequently in the garden here at La Mariposa, but I spend a lot of time in class, on field trips, and studying, and I just hadn't happened to be looking when a guardabarranco was about. Finally, however, I've seen one, with its pendulum tail (which doesn't show up dramatically in this photo). This gorgeous bird actually cooperated while I took its picture--until I tried to get just a bit too close.

For those who care about such things, this is the Turquoise browed Motmot (Eumomota superciliosa). El Salvador also claims this as the national bird, calling it pajaro reloj, clock bird, because of the way it swings the tail back and forth.

No comments:

Post a Comment